Pages

March 7, 2010

Next Big Wave - Housefull! Deepika, Akshay, Lara, Riteish, Jiah, Arjun team up...




The promos are in full swing and Sajid is making waves with his comments and predictions! Here are a few:





Sajid Promises 60 crore plus collection for HOUSEFULL

Bollywood Trade News Network
Eros International and Sajid Nadiadwala's romantic comedy entertainer HOUSEFULL directed by Sajid Khan has the entire team excited for a single reason and that is that they all agree it's a great film.

In fact so much so is Sajid Khan's confidence in the film that he has promised producer Sajid Nadiadwala more than 60 crores at the box office .

The romantic comedy entertainer HOUSEFULL is a story of normal people caught in abnormal situations sparked off by a white lie. The film starring Akshay Kumar, Deepika Padukone, Riteish Deshmukh, Lara Dutta, Jiah Khan and Arjun Rampal talks of the world's unluckiest man trying to find true love to change his luck .

Reveals a source 'Sajid is very confident about his film whoever has seen glimpses of the film have given him great feedback. It has a great star cast, a lot of comic moments, great music, stunning locations - it has everything going for it. Sajid has blind confidence in the film and hence has promised Sajid Nadiadwala that the film will rake in more than 60 crores at the box office'

So let's wait and watch while Houseful opens to a houseful this April.

Akki will be No 1 in 2010: Sajid

All he wants is for his audience to be happy at any cost. Confident of garnering the biggest hit of 2010, Sajid Khan unravels the secret of pulling a Housefull crowd...

Housefull will be your next post-Heyy Babyy. Was this hiatus intentional?
Not really. I’m not a director, but a film-maker. While a director just directs, the latter does much more than that. The screenplay of Housefull took nearly one-and-a-half years and I can say that it is one of the cleverest screenplays to have been penned in the last 10 years. Though the film has a complex storyline and a host of characters, I’ve tried to justify each like a Manmohan Desai film to ensure that the audience never gets bored. As for the shooting, it took just 63 days. But my blueprint and homework were far superior to any film. Fact is, all of us used to rehearse the scenes like a play. Have you ever seen anything like it?

So, do you still claim Housefull to be the biggest hit of 2010?
This WILL be the biggest hit of 2010 and I stick to my words. I’m just being honest and not pompous when I say it. I am not the greatest director, but I’m the greatest audience in this world. I became a director by watching films and I represent the audience. I’m confident that Housefull will be an all-time blockbuster.

Don’t you think people might misconstrue this confidence as an attempt to publicise the film?
I’ve been saying it for the past two years that you can’t take away my love for cinema. I am not being pompous. My films have an appeal that straddles both the classes as well as the masses. I can say that I’ll give my audience the best time of their lives.

Do you also claim that Akshay’s career will see a different high with this film?
What Akshay saw in 2007 was the best phase in his career. In 2010, he will be the No. 1 star, at the box-office. In Housefull, he isn’t Akshay, but a character. I state this on record that this is Akshay’s best performance till date. Akshay’s the best physical comedy actor and when he and Ritiesh get together, you get the best. I always knew that I didn’t want to see Akshay as the smart alec. And here, I’ve given a new twist to slapstick. In fact, I wrote the character keeping Akshay in mind. I like becoming friends with my actors so that you can highlight their strengths and hide their flaws.

So, this dostana makes a film successful?
If the unit and cast feel bad that the shooting has got over, then your film is bound to be a hit. What happened in my case was that there was a circle of trust with my unit hands and being the entertainer that I am, I made sure that my cast was together.

But isn’t it difficult handling big stars?
It’s not easy, but at the same time, it’s easy too. My actors saw a different Sajid Khan after pack-up. I was their friend during shooting too. When you have so many actors, you can’t cheat anyone. Directors like Manmohan Desai had done multi-starrers during the 70s when stars had inflated egos. So, why not me? And Akshay also made sure that we were all together. The USP was that he is totally a director and a producer’s actor.

Considering that this is your second outing, how have you evolved as a director?
The groundwork this time was of a much higher scale than Heyy Babyy. During my first, the audience or the industry didn’t have too much expectation. I just knew that I had to make a good blockbuster. But this time around, I have improved tenfold, my homework was thorough, my shot taking and edit patterns have improved. Imagine shooting for 160 minutes! I had to trim it to 150 minutes. While in HB the screenplay was
malleable, Housefull has a better screenplay. I know that for a Sajid Khan film, the expectations are sky high and I have to surpass all expectation.

What was Farah’s response to your film?
She has not seen the film yet, though I’ve shown her a few scenes and she said that this is the classiest comedy she has ever seen. Point is Housefull is an entertainer with its fair share of romance, action and drama.

What if Housefull doesn’t work?
My logic for HB was simple. If it didn’t work, I would go back to television at one-fourth rate. And should Housefull fail, I’ll get back to TV at no rate. I don’t want awards or great reviews; I just want my audience to be happy at any cost. I want to give them what they are paying for, full-on entertainment, Sajid Khan style.