Pages

June 12, 2010

Ranbir: I'm not seeing Deepika Anymore




Ranbir Kapoor squashes the Deepika–Katrina rumours and still believes in the old-fashioned concept of love. Filmfare gets the real picture




All the A-list directors want to work with you. Does that give you a kick?
I believe that you have to be the right person at the right time in the movies. I guess today these filmmakers are writing subjects for younger heroes. They’ve worked with all the superstars who are in a particular age bracket. Now they probably want to explore ideas or want to tell stories which need younger actors. Today of course, you have Shahid Kapoor, Imran Khan, Harman Baweja and Prateik. They have quite a choice. I just feel that I’m the right guy at the right time. I’m humbled that such good filmmakers want to work with me, that slowly I am ticking off from my list the names of filmmakers I aspired to work with. It only makes me greedy to want to do better and bigger stuff in the future.


Coming to your personal life, talk is that Deepika Padukone and you are back together.
No. Deepika and I shared a lovely relationship. Everyone knows we’re not in a relationship anymore. There’s no negativity between us. Deepika, I’ve always maintained, is one of the most amazing girls I’ve met. She’s a good person, a great talent, she works hard and she comes from a good family. And the respect I have for her, she has for me. We have common friends, sometimes when we go out we bump into each other. If she does good work in a movie, I’ll call her up and tell her, she calls me for her movie trials, I do the same. It’s a relationship I’ve made for life. If I’m not in a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship with her, we’re definitely friends. And I’d like to maintain that all my life.


Even after the two of you broke up, you’ve kept in touch, right?
Of course. You have to be mature and deal with these things as sensitively as possible. In the end, she’ll always get more flak than the guy. That’s the unfairness of this society. So you need to be sensitive. And when things are fine, when the troubled waters under the bridge have calmed down, you can start a friendship with your ex. It’s possible.


You’re being linked to Katrina Kaif and Priyanka Chopra these days…
I’ve always been open whenever anyone has asked me whether I’m in a relationship. And now when I say I’m not in a relationship you should respect that. Katrina and I have done two films (Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani and Raajneeti) together. Our first film together was a big hit, so people regard us as this hit onscreen couple. But if tomorrow we have a flop, people will not cast us together. It’s as simple.


People are whispering about Priyanka chopra and you too.
Priyanka and I have just completed Anjaana Anjaani. She’s a great actress, we all know that. She is a very good person and we really gelled. When I work in a movie, I don’t say I won’t be friendly with my co-star because I don’t want to deal with stories of linkups. I want a happy atmosphere on the sets. I want the atmosphere to be such that we just sit and talk about the movie we’re doing or about life. Just because you’re friendly with someone you’re spending a hundred days on the sets with, doesn’t mean you’re having a physical or an emotional relationship with that person. They are just two colleagues who are hanging together, discussing life and discussing movies.


Have you ever cheated in a relationship?
No, never. And I don’t think I ever will. That’s something I’ll never do. It also depends on what kind of a relationship you are in. Sometimes two people don’t end a relationship because they are in a comfort zone. They just go on. Then someone comes along and it’s alleged that that person is the reason for their breaking up. But that third person only got noticed because things between the two of them were not working. If they were then they would not notice anyone else. No third person can break a relationship. If a relationship is working nothing can break it.


Anuradha Choudhary

http://www.filmfare.com/articles/ranbir-im-not-seeing-deepika-anymore-1053.html