Pages

May 17, 2010

I love making movies: Abhishek


Having a legend for a father and the world’s most beautiful woman as one’s wife could have easily eclipsed the achievements of a lesser man. But Abhishek Bachchan is very much his own person and someone who has clearly arrived as an actor of substance. He is his witty affable self as he chats up with CT.......

Mani and you have a great equation ...
It has got to do with understanding. Mani understands me. He knows what I’m capable of. As an actor, at times, I feel he knows me better than I do myself. He enables me to shed all my inhibitions.

Are you lucky for Mani?
No way! How I can I possibly even think that I’m lucky for Mani? He’s the best in the business. I’m the one who has been lucky and blessed to be a part of three of his films.

Raavan has been a physically and emotionally demanding movie ...
Whenever you’re going to do a Mani Ratnam film, you should be prepared for a challenge. Mani is not the kind of director who’s going to give you a walk in the park. He’s going to challenge you, push you to the edge; he’s going to extract a performance from you that even you yourself didn’t believe you were capable of.

Is there a clear triumph of good over evil in Raavan?
That depends on what you describe as good and evil!

Is Ram evil and Raavan good?
Again, it depends from person to person. Everyone is unique. I personally believe we all have a bit of both.

Quite the prankster ...
I’m not a prankster. I need a comfortable atmosphere when I work. So I keep it cool on the sets.

Suriya has been cast in an RGV film. Who has a greater chance of making it big in Bollywood — Vikram or Suriya?
They both are great actors and both will do very well in the Hindi film industry. They were brilliant together in Pithamagan.

The Bachchans are known to zealously guard their privacy. But of late, you’ve tried to reach out to your legion of fans ...
Mediums like blog and micro-blog allow you to converse directly with your audience. It’s nice to get their point of view. But, that still doesn’t mean that you can’t keep things private. What you post is up to you.

Kareena has said she’d love to do a film with you ...
Kareena was my first co-star. That’s something that I will always hold very dear to my heart. I would love to work with her again.

Lord Jeffrey Archer has you in mind for the cinematic adaptation of one of the stories from his latest book ...
Really? That’s nice. I enjoy his books. They lend themselves to films very well. Would I be interested? Not sure, let’s see ...

You’ve been Paa to him. What next for the father-son duo?
Ha ha... We should allow things to get back to normal for a while now. I don’t think he fancies the idea of me playing Paa to him too much!

Small screen plans ...
I enjoyed TV very much. The game show’s success was like the icing on the cake. I wouldn’t mind doing more TV.

Time to unwind now?
Not really. And I’m not complaining. I love making movies. I love being around creative people. It’s a total high.

Chennai ...
Chennai is one of my most favourite cities in the world. I have great memories here... from my childhood, when we used to accompany my father to his shoots here, and now when I come down here for my films. Some of the happiest times of my life have been spent here. I also have a lot of friends who live here. I’d love to do a Tamil film. It’s a dream of mine. But I’d have to learn the language first.